4. Discussion

 Changes made before the construction of the box

  From the final design, you can tell that there are some changes to the original designs.


  If you look that the first design, you would realised that the original box is actually fully confined as compared to the second design where there is a plastic veil with velcro sticking to the box. We realised that making it fully confined will be a problem when it comes to checking if the plant is ready for harvesting, therefore we came up with the solution of making one side of the box transparent making it more convenient to check on the plant.

  Harvesting is much more easier when we remove the tray form the first design and replace it with the removable plastic veil. The original idea was to pull the tray out and harvest the plant form the box, but we realise that we had to make one of the sides openable which can make the box less sturdy and there is also a possibility when it comes pulling the plants out from the box. therefore we think that removing the tray and harvesting the plants directly in the box will prevent damage to the plants and reduce the space used when harvesting.

 Changes made during the construction of the box

 Whilst constructing the box, we learnt many things, one of which being the ability to improvise on the spot.

 Changes: 


1.We changed the plant from basil to mint, as mint grows spreading out apart.
The basil, (refer to picture below)
  
  clearly grows upwards, instead of the mint plant, (refer to picture below)
  

  which grows sideways. This change was needed as the height of our modular box was   fixed, and if we used a plant that grew upwards, it would outgrow our box in a short         time.
















2. We added hinges on the sides for support on the edges. 


This was added at the bottom left corner

This was added to strengthen the right and the back board
This improved the sealing conditions of our box, and the general stability of our box, as tape alone was clearly not enough to hold and stabilise the box. 

3. We reworked the side boards.

We did a half cut and folded in
Basically, the bottom board was 40x60cm, so we made the side boards 40x40cm(side portion), and then another 40x30cm(folded in portion). we cut the 40x30cm section with a half cut, so that it folded in.














4. We strengthened the base

As you can see, we did a triple layer with the sides folded in, and then "sandwiching" the middle layer between two layers of corrugated boards








Problems that we ran into, that made us fail the project

1. The Hozelock.

The hozelock (the automatic plant watering system), was meant for backyards, probably in the United States. There were various knobs, to add to the top of the Automatic box, but none of them fit perfectly

The water spewing out, as the hose in the
science lab does not fit the AC Plus
Another angle of the water spewing out 
Then we tried with the smaller knob
Looks like it would fit

It was okay for about half a minute, then the
pipe would either burst out of the AC plus,
or leak water



















2. The Piping

Because we had to situate our box near a power plug, as we had an electrical LED light, which needed to be attached to an electrical timer. And both of them had to be plugged in to a power supply.

Also, the only tap that worked, in the school, was in the toilets, but the pipes were hardly long enough to pipe to the box. And as the box needed to be near the power plugs as well, there just wasn't a way to connect the box to both at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment